It doesn’t matter what model of GMC Terrain vehicle you drive – you must fill it with the right kind of gasoline.
We’ve chosen to conduct a great deal of research into this subject, and will provide you with the necessary information.
You can find everything you need to know right here – we will make sure to answer the question – What gas does a GMC Terrain take? When you go to the gas station to fill up your vehicle, you don’t want to be left scratching your head.
This article will look at the fuel requirements for the various generations of the GMC Terrain.
We will also be looking at the kind of additives that should and shouldn’t be used in such a vehicle.
Before we go more in-depth on the subject, here’s a quick overview you may find helpful.
What Gas Does a GMC Terrain Take?
For nearly every engine available in GMC’s Terrain models, you can fill the gas tank with 87-rated octane fuel. However, one model of GMC’s vehicle doesn’t run on this particular gas.
If you happen to be the owner of a 2.0 turbocharged inline-4 model, you can only fill its tank with 93 premium fuel.
Also, you need to be aware that any models made before 2020 are the only ones you can fill with E85.
You will need to read on if you want to learn more about the fuels and additives you can use in your GMC Terrain.
Types of Gasoline – What Can and Cannot be Used?
This has only recently been developed and is designed to ensure that emissions from any vehicle are kept to a minimum. Yes, you can use this gas in your Terrain. Not only will it help keep emission levels down, but you may find it provides you with better miles per gallon.
These fuels are also known as oxygenated blends, a mixture of regular gasoline and ethanol. Often, such fuel costs less than others, as ethanol is made from corn, a renewable resource.
The only real issue with this type of fuel is you may find that it has much lower miles per gallon rating. Even though the cost savings can be attractive, you shouldn’t use this in your vehicle too often as it can cause damage to the engine through corrosion.
Gasoline With Added Materials
You need to avoid any gasoline which has been mixed with MMT (Methylcyclopentadienyl ManganeseTricarbonyl). It was initially added to gasoline to help reduce knocking in engines.
This gas should be avoided as it could cause damage to your vehicle’s emissions control system. It may also cause damage to the vehicle’s spark plugs.
You can use biodiesel fuel in a GMC Terrain with a diesel engine, but you shouldn’t use too much. Ideally, you should only use around 20% of such fuel in your vehicle. If you use any more than this, it can cause the filter in the engine to quickly clog up.
If this happens, debris will accumulate inside the engine and cause damage.
Yes, biodiesel fuel will ensure that your mpg numbers improve and reduce emissions. The real downside of using such fuel is that you need to make sure the filter gets changed often.
Now you know what gas to use, the one you may not use often and the one you should never use. And you are still asking, So what gas does a GMC Terrain take?
Fuel Requirements are Based on the Type of Engine
Here we gathered various data points related to the different engines used in all Terrain models. Although there may be two different versions of the same engine available, you will find that both of them will have the exact same fuel requirements.
To simplify things, we look closely at the different engine options that make up the Terrain lineup. This way, you will see just what kind of fuel each type of engine will use.
First Generation – Manufactured Between 2009 and 2016
There are specific GMC Terrain models that can take E85 fuel. Each of the three engine models from these years has had changes made to enable the use of E85.
It is possible to differentiate which are the flex-fuel models, by simply looking at the fuel cap. If your model is fitted with a yellow fuel cap which clearly states E85 or flex-fuel, then it means you can fill the tank with E85.
For each model, we show precisely what fuel can be used below.
- 2.4 Liter Inline – This Terrain model runs on Regular 87 or higher.
- 2.4 Liter Inline-4* – You can fill this model with E85/Flex-Fuel, Regular 87, or higher gas.
- 3.0 Liter V6 Engine – This model only runs on Regular 87 or higher.
- 3.0 Liter V6* – You must fill this model with either E85/Flex-Fuel* or Regular 87 or higher
- 3.6 Liter V6 – In this model, you need to fill it with Regular 87 or higher.
- 3.6 Liter V6* – The last first-generation models, you can run this vehicle on E85/Flex-Fuel* or Regular 87 or a higher octane rating.
Second Generation – Manufactured Between 2016 and 2017
Again, like above, some of the GMC Terrain models made between 2016 and 2017 can run on E85 and Flex-Fuel. Then there are others that not only run on these two types of fuel but also on Regular 87 or higher.
Below is a complete list of what kind of fuel each model engine (options made in 2016 and 2017) can run on.
- 2.4 Liter Inline-4 – Make sure only to fill the tank on this model with Regular 87 or higher unleaded gasoline.
- 2.4 Liter Inline-4* – Like some other models, this is one where you run it on either E85/Flex-Fuel* or Regular 87 or higher gasoline.
- 3.6 Liter V6 – This is the largest engine of the Terrain vehicles made between 2016 and 2017, and it runs on Regular 87 or higher gas.
Third Generation – Manufactured Between 2017 and 2021
This is the year when GMC introduced Terrain models with smaller engines, and also models where the powerhouse engine could be run on diesel rather than gasoline.
Again, we provide a complete list that each model of the vehicle made from 2017 to 2021 can be run on.
- 1.5-Liter Turbocharged 4-Cylinder Engine – This is the smallest turbo engine in the Terrain range and runs on Regular 87 or higher gas.
- 1.6 Liter Turbocharged Inline-4 (Diesel) – You will fill the tank of this vehicle with 1D in cold weather and 2D in hot weather. You must also fill it with ultra-low sulfur diesel at no more than 15ppm.
- 2.0-Liter Turbocharged Four-Cylinder – When it comes to these models with these size turbocharged engines fitted, make sure that you fill the tank with premium fuel with a 93 Octane rating.
- 2.4 Liter Inline-4 – This model runs on only Regular 87 or higher premium fuel.
- 2.4 Liter Inline-4* – For this model, you can run it on E85/Flex-Fuel* as well as Regular 87 or higher gas.
- 3.6 Liter V6 – This is the largest engine model in the range to be built between 2017 and 2021, and you can only run this powerhouse engine on Regular 87 or higher gasoline.
Fourth Generation – 2021 to Present Day Models
Only one new model will be released during this period: the 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Like the previous model, a 1.5L turbo 4-cylinder engine can be run on Regular 87 or higher gasoline.
I hope you are not about to say so what gas does a gmc Terrain take? You can easily find out from above.
Cost of Filling your GMC Terrain Tank
As fuel prices have soared in recent months, you will find that the cost of getting a full tank of gas for these vehicles has risen quite a bit.
The cost will depend on the size of the engine and the size of the fuel tank. These days, we would expect you to be faced with a bill of anywhere between $50 and $120 to fill up the gas tank.
Not only do GMC Terrain’s have a lot of power, but they are also among those considered to have excellent fuel efficiency. So what gas does a GMC Terrain take?
Depending on which model of Terrain you own, you can expect anywhere between 21 and 30 miles to the gallon while driving.
The inclusion of stop/start technology as a standard feature in the later models means you will waste less fuel. As soon as your car comes to a stop and stands idle for some time, the engine will shut off. Then, as you take your foot off the brake, the engine will start again quickly.
We hope you find the information in this article helpful, and that it gives you the confidence to put the correct gas in that car during your next fill-up.
You don’t want to put the wrong fuel in, which could cause severe damage to the engine. Hopefully this article has made it easy to answer the question – What gas does a GMC Terrain take?